A patio is not complete without any furniture. You will need chairs, tables, hammocks, plants, swings, recliners and benches among others to make a lovely patio. However, buying patio furniture can be a difficult task. You need to take many things like space, material, budget, comfort and durability into consideration. Since it will be placed outdoors, you need to make sure that all the pieces of patio furniture will stand the different elements. Here are some tips on buying furniture for your patios.
1. Buying patio furniture is similar to purchasing any indoor furniture. First, determine the available space. This will dictate the size you need to buy. Make sure to measure your patio space. It also helps if you have a design plan so you know where to place the furniture in order to match your environment.
2. Decide on the purpose of the furniture like for dining or hanging out. You need different furniture for reading and another set for eating or picnics.
3. Consider the weather. Furniture have varying reactions to the elements like rain, wind and snow. It is vital to choose furniture depending on the kind of weather you have. Wood furniture can crack and splinter in hot weather while furniture made with wicker are not resistant to moisture. Furthermore, pieces of furniture that will be exposed to the elements are different from those under a porch.
4. Choose the furniture you want. There are many kinds of furniture for patios like chaise lounges, hammocks, umbrellas, benches, swings, chairs and tables to name a few. You can also choose materials based on the style you wish to convey. Wrought iron is often used in Victorian style patios, wood for rustic appeal, plastic is practical and wicker is romantic. Remember to carefully choose the materials for your furniture. Wood furniture like oak and cedar are traditional and durable while teak is resistant to all types of weather conditions and requires less maintenance. Others opt for steel or plastic for practical reasons.
5. Always check the warranties and care instructions when buying patio furniture. Opt for durable furniture with readily available materials in case of any damage. Make sure that the fabrics and cushions are treated with stain and water repellants. Lastly, have a storage space when winter comes. To save on storage space, choose fold-able tables and chairs or buy furniture that you can also use indoors during the winter.
The most important factor to consider when buying patio furniture is your budget. There are expensive pieces as well as budget friendly ones. When looking for furniture, you can look into various catalogs and online websites with outdoor furniture in all kinds, shapes and sizes. Aside from the price, comfort is also essential. Patios are made for people to gather, relax and spend time with each other. The pieces of patio furniture must be comfortable, relaxing and safe to use. Like any other furniture, outdoor furniture requires more care and maintenance since it is constantly exposed to varied elements. You must know how to properly care for as well as how to protect it against ordinary wear and tear, damage or weather conditions.